Monday, August 08, 2005

"you're getting happier by the minute, and they wouldn't have a clue, bout what its like to be lazy when you've got too much to do..." (The Whitlams)

After hours, this place isn't nearly as scary as it should be. Sanitised fluroescent light chases the shadows out of every crevice along the abandoned corridor. I can hear fingerstrokes on a keyboard two rooms away from where I sit, and the streamlined vowels of two international students who sit, hunched over a single computer, whispering rapidly to one another in a language I don't understand.

I have set a
trap for myself: I can't set foot outside this room until I have at least three decent ideas for freelance projects to take to my meeting with Fergus tomorrow. Fergus is the producer of ABC TV's spin-off digital radio station. I've had a week to come up with something but have spent my time frivilously: working, gigging, drinking, dining with mates, watching cartoons. Checking out the closing flick at this year's Melbourne International Film Festival (a stirring tale about Triads, the name given to the Hong Kong mafia). Standing on a balcony ten stories above Melbourne in the wee hours of a Monday morning, filling my lungs with aromatic herb and engaging in intense conversations, the content of which I will later forget entirely.

But no more. I'm here until I come up with something. Even if it takes all night.
And it just might, at this rate...




4 Comments:

Blogger Calaloola said...

hey jax :)

well i got some semblance of work done last night. now, a scant 15 hours later, i am back at school, biding the time until my one and only class of the day: bleurgh. i don't mean to be a tease, i've just been lazy. plus i tend to use this blog for stuff i can't write about in any other way. stuff that is too self-indulgent or ethereal for school assignments or freelance articles, and stuff that inspires poetry that is too simpering for my journal. thats why you've been getting so much of this love/ lust tripe (both unrequited and that that was cut short) lately. sorry about that :) and thanks for visiting...

Tue Aug 09, 03:01:00 pm 2005  
Blogger {illyria} said...

no, dear. there is no simpering where you are involved. this is entirely too masterful a post as any. everything going okay in your part of the world?

Wed Aug 10, 08:21:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Calaloola said...

thanks trans ;)

yes all is well, except graduating is scary. on an entirely different note: do you believe in signs? cos all of 'em seem to be telling me to go to south america at the moment (an invite from a friend i made in norway; two other mates who are going - seperately - there next year, one at the same time for which i received an invite; volunteer job opportunities at english language newspapers and in tv) but i don't know if my bank account or my overprotective father cans tand the strain...

Fri Aug 12, 11:29:00 am 2005  
Blogger {illyria} said...

i believe in signs. this is a screaming red one. go, baby, go.

Fri Aug 12, 04:20:00 pm 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home